Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) FAQs
FDLE Frequently Asked Questions
- Below is a list of frequently asked questions.
- Click on the question to see the response or scroll to reach each question and answer.
- Don’t see your question? Please contact us here
Firearm Purchase Process
- What is the process for purchasing a firearm in Florida from a licensed firearm dealer?
- What is the difference between FDLE’s Firearm Purchase Program and the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)?
- What is a control number?
Requirements to Purchase a Firearm
- How do I know if I’m eligible to purchase a firearm?
- What are the requirements to purchase a firearm in Florida?
Firearm Transaction Decisions
- I was told my transaction is pending a decision. What does that mean and when can I expect a final decision?
- How can I find out what is causing the delay? Is there something I can do to help resolve the issue?
- I was told my transaction was non-approved? What does that mean?
- Do events that occurred while serving in the armed forces or event that occurred outside of the US have any bearing on my ability to purchase a firearm?
- My arrest happened a long time ago. How long am I going to be prohibited from purchasing a firearm?
- I had my Florida arrest sealed. How can it be used during a firearm background check?
- I was arrested and charged as a juvenile. How does that affect my background check?
Obtaining or Challenging a Criminal History Record
- How do I obtain a copy of my criminal record?
- How do I have my criminal record updated?
- How do I have my record sealed / expunged?